Now we’re going to dive deep into what your wholehearted 2017 could look like. This step is here to help you define wholehearted living on your own terms, so you can truly feel focused, fulfilled, and wholehearted in the brand new year ahead to come.
1. What does wholehearted living look like for you?
An exercise I found super useful at the beginning of my wholehearted year was to use Brene Brown’s “Guideposts for Wholehearted Living” as a jumping off point to help me discover what wholehearted really means to me. Here are the 10 guideposts:
1. Cultivating Authenticity: Letting go of what people think
2. Cultivating Self-Compassion: Letting go of perfectionism
3. Cultivating A Resilient Spirit: Letting go of numbing and powerlessness
4. Cultivating Gratitude And Joy: Letting go of scarcity and fear of the dark
5. Cultivating Intuition And Trusting Faith: Letting go of the need for certainty
6. Cultivating Creativity: Letting go of comparison
7. Cultivating Play And Rest: Letting go of exhaustion as a status symbol and productivity as self worth
8. Cultivating Calm And Stillness: Letting go of anxiety as a lifestyle
9. Cultivating Meaningful Work: Letting go of self-doubt and “supposed to"
10. Cultivating Laughter, Song, And Dance: Letting go of being cool and “always in control"
Tasks for you:
- Explore what each guidepost could look like for you - how it resonates with you, how you’d like it to guide you in 2017, and how they can help you live wholeheartedly along the way
- Outline any of the things not included in these guideposts that also define wholehearted living for you too.
Hopefully what you can discover here is what your guideposts for wholehearted living may be for 2017 - I outlined my own for 2016 here.
2. How do you want to feel in your work and your life next year?
Using what you discovered in your reflections on 2016 and life and business audits as your jumping off point, ask yourself:
- How do I want to feel in my business and work in 2017?
- How do I want to feel in my life and creativity in 2017?
- What would wholehearted living feel like to me next year?
This step can hopefully help anchor you to what you’d like to cultivate in your creative work and life next year, and help you focus along the way.
3. What core values do you want to prioritise and honour?
At the heart of wholehearted living are the values we live our lives by. Ask yourself:
- What core values in my life do I want to honour next year?
- What core values in my business do I want to honour next year?
- How can I prioritise these along the way?
What will hopefully come to the surface for you here is some clarity around your core values and how best you can honour them in 2017 along the way.
4. What do you want to make space for in 2017?
The last step is to outline what you’d like to make space for in your wholehearted 2017. Ask yourself:
- What do I want to make space for next year so I can honour what wholehearted living looks like for me?
- What habits and mindsets would I like to make space for next year?
- What do I need to make space for in my business so I can live wholeheartedly?
- What do I need to make space for in my life so I can live wholeheartedly?
What I hope you can explore here are the practical ways you can honour your vision for your wholehearted year. For example, in 2016 a way I did this was by taking time off throughout the year to honour my need for rest, and by embracing more stillness and white space in my life so I could cultivate calm and stillness.
Next up we’re going to explore what your word (or words) are for 2017...