First up, we’re going to dive deep and carve out some time to reflect on the year that’s just come and gone. By taking the time to look back and digest the past 12 months, you can hopefully have some clarity and focus moving forward while you plan ahead for 2017.
1. Your 2016 goals and intentions
Time to reflect on your goals and intentions to 2016. This can hopefully help you see your progress throughout the year, and understand better how you navigate goal setting too.
- What goals and intentions did you outline for this year?
- Reflect on them - which ones did you honour and make happen? Which ones changed and evolved? Which ones did you let go of?
- What goals have you met or pursued this year that you didn’t initially expect to?
- What intentions have you prioritised throughout this year that you didn’t initially plan to?
- What has shaped, inspired, and influenced your goals and intentions in 2016?
What will hopefully come to the surface here for you is a clear picture of what goals and intentions have been guiding you in 2016, and give you some time to reflect on how you’ve navigated them too.
2. How you’ve felt this year
Now it’s time to dive a little deeper into how you’ve felt in 2016. Ask yourself:
- How have I felt in my business this year?
- How have I felt in my finances this year?
- How have I felt with my clients/customers this year?
- How have I felt creatively this year?
- How have I felt in my routine and day-to-day life this year?
- How have I felt differently in all of these areas at different times throughout 2016?
Hopefully what you can discover here are just some really honest reflections on how you’ve felt in your creative work and life as you’ve navigated 2016 along the way.
3. What you’ve learned this year
Now we’re going to explore what you’ve discovered and learned in 2016. Ask yourself:
- What core lessons will I take away from this year?
- How have I changed, grown, and evolved this year?
- What have I found challenging this year and how have I learned from those challenges?
- What I hope will come to the surface for you here is some reflections on how 2016 has shaped and changed you, and what the key takeaways in your work and life are this year.
4. What you’re grateful for this year
This one’s simple; it’s always great to carve out some time to embrace gratitude for the year that has just come and gone. Ask yourself:
- What am I grateful for this year?
- What are experiences I’m so glad I’ve had?
- What challenges am I grateful to have been able to learn from?
- What opportunities in my business am I grateful for?
- Who am I grateful for this year?
Spending some time with gratitude can really ground us, especially if we’re feeling stuck wondering about all of the things we haven’t done this year, or all of the things we “should” do next year.
5. What you’re proud of this year
To wrap up this part, we’re going to spend a little time thinking about what you’re proud of this year. Ask yourself:
- If I had to write a list of all of the things I’m proud of in my work and my life this year, what would be on it?
- What are the goals I’ve made happen this year that I’m proud of?
- What are the decisions I’m proud of making this year?
And that’s it - hopefully what you can take away from this step are some clarifying reflections on your 2016, and some focus as I walk you through how to wholeheartedly plan ahead for the brand new year to come.
Next up we’re going to spend a little time digging into an audit of your business...