Welcome to A Wholehearted 2017 - it’s so great to have you here. This toolkit is here to help you make 2017 your most meaningful, focused, and wholehearted year yet and, more than anything, I hope A Wholehearted 2017 can support and encourage you to make things happen in your creative work and life on your own terms, in your own way, and by your own rules in the year (and years) ahead to come.
Before we jump into the toolkit, I want to share with you quickly why I’ve created A Wholehearted 2017 for you. During the end of 2015 I was feeling overwhelmed, frustrated, disconnected, and pretty damn unhappy in my creative work and life. I’d built myself a dream job but it was nowhere near as dreamy as I hoped it would be. Enough was enough and I took some time at the end of December 2015 to reflect, refocus, and look ahead to 2016 and what came to the surface for me was some clear intentions that I wanted to guide me in my work and my life in the brand new year ahead. And these intentions were inspired by Brené Brown’s “10 Guideposts for Wholehearted Living” - and Wholehearted became my word of the year for 2016.
The 10 guideposts are:
1. Cultivating Authenticity: Letting go of what people think
2. Cultivating Self-Compassion: Letting go of perfectionism
3. Cultivating A Resilient Spirit: Letting go of numbing and powerlessness
4. Cultivating Gratitude And Joy: Letting go of scarcity and fear of the dark
5. Cultivating Intuition And Trusting Faith: Letting go of the need for certainty
6. Cultivating Creativity: Letting go of comparison
7. Cultivating Play And Rest: Letting go of exhaustion as a status symbol and productivity as self worth
8. Cultivating Calm And Stillness: Letting go of anxiety as a lifestyle
9. Cultivating Meaningful Work: Letting go of self-doubt and “supposed to"
10. Cultivating Laughter, Song, And Dance: Letting go of being cool and “always in control"
I go into more depth in this blog post about what those guideposts meant to me and how I wanted them to guide me in my wholehearted year, but in A Wholehearted 2017 I want to help you explore what a wholehearted year could look like for you - and how you can tangibly plan ahead and make things happen on your own terms in the next 12 months ahead to come.
At the heart of it, I think living wholeheartedly just means running in the direction of a life and a business that feels most meaningful to you. It’s about living life on your own terms, showing up 100% along the way, and finding peace in the here and now while you’re pursuing those big goals of yours too.
Throughout A Wholehearted 2017 what you’ll find are exercises to help you reflect on 2016, refocus on your intentions and goals, and plan ahead so you can make 2017 your best year yet. You’ll also find a 5-part audio coaching series to support you throughout the next year when you may feel stuck, overwhelmed, or off track along the way. I’ve also included journal prompts to help you reflect and dive deep throughout the year too.
I don’t have all the answers - my biggest advice to you right now before we get started would be to not take everything I share with you here as gospel. Don’t be afraid to take what can serve you best, tweak it to work for you and, most of all, listen to your own gut instincts every step of the way.
More than anything, I’m rooting for you so much to have a wonderful, wholehearted, 2017. I hope this toolkit can support you along the way to build a creative work and life that is impactful, fulfilling, and sustainable every step of the way.
Keep on doing the awesome work you’re doing in the world,