Now I’m going to walk you through my process for quarterly planning in my creative work and life, to hopefully support you to stay focused and on track in your wholehearted 2017. If you’ve previously taken my The Intuitive Workweek course you will already be familiar with this process!
Why quarterly plan?
As much as I like to look at a year in my business and creative as a whole, I’ve found that most of us have so many a-ha moments, fresh ideas, and evolutions throughout the year that it’s almost impossible to really plan that far ahead.
But with a quarter just covering 3 months in our business and lives, it gives us enough space to make something tangible happen, to stay focused on some core goals, without overwhelming ourselves with too big of a chunk of time.
Breaking our year down into four 12-week stretches gives us enough space to refocus, reflect, and recharge throughout the year - and can be a great way to tackle our big picture goals without feeling too overwhelmed or losing momentum along the way.
Setting priorities, areas of focus, and goals each quarter
First step is to look at the quarter as a whole and map out what you’d really like to make happen with the next 3 months ahead. Ask yourself:
- How can I honour your word (or words) for 2017 in this quarter and let them guide me along the way?
- What would I like to make happen this quarter in my creative work and life?
- What are my income goals?
- How many clients would I like book? How many customers would I like to attract?
- Are there any new services, products, or offerings I’d like to launch?
- Are there any creative side projects I’d like to make space for?
- Any personal development and further learning I’d like to prioritise?
- Are there any personal experiences I’d like to prioritise?
- Three months from now, how would I like things to look and feel in my business?
- Three months from now, how would I like things to look and feel in my creative life?
Hopefully, once you’ve explored your answers to these questions, you can start to outline what your priorities, core areas of focus, and goals are for the next quarter ahead.
Exploring how you want to feel this quarter
- What do I want from this season of my life?
- How do I want to feel as I navigate my business this quarter?
- What do I want to prioritise in my life this quarter?
- What would I love to discover in this season of my life?
- Are there any new habits I’d love to explore and experiment with in this quarter?
- How can my word (or words) and intentions for 2017 guide me throughout this quarter?
What you can hopefully start to discover here is what you want you to prioritise in this next season of your business and creative life. This can guide you when it comes to navigating your creative work and life in a way that is meaningful, fulfilling, and focused along the way.
The things you do and don’t want to take with you this quarter
Time to take a few minutes to reflect. Looking back over what you’ve learned, experienced, and discovered in the previous 3-6 months in your business and creative life, ask yourself:
- What didn’t feel good during the past 3-6 months in my work and creative life? What would I like to leave behind and not take with me into this next quarter?
- What are lessons you’ve learned in this last season of your life that you’d like to honour and continue to make space for moving forward?
Working through these exercises at the end of each quarter gives you space to reconnect to what it is you really want in your creative life, and keeps you moving forward in a fulfilling and meaningful way in your business.
Building a quarterly action plan
To build your action plan each quarter, outline:
- Your core goals, priorities, and areas of focus for this quarter
- Your specific workload, projects, and deadlines for this quarter
- How you want to feel in this season of your life
- What you’d like to leave behind and what you’d like to take with you into this quarter
The truth is, the best thing you can do is develop your own process for quarterly planning, and my hope is that you can use this process outlined here as a jumping off point to find your feet and tweak it in a way that works best for you. Throughout your wholehearted 2017, the intentions you outline and the word (or words) that will be your anchor will hopefully help you stay focused and connected to what you truly want this year to be for you.
And that wraps up the self-guided mini program!
Next up there is audio coaching and journal prompts for you to explore...